Puerto Rico Sustainable Disaster Relief Fund – Phase 1 GOAL ACHIEVED!!!
Thanks to the generous contributions of friends, family and community members, Raíces Cultural Center has met it’s goal in Phase 1 of our Disaster Relief Support Initiative. In 9 months we were able to raise over $10,000 to help support grassroots recovery efforts on the island of Puerto Rico.
Any additional funds donated to this fundraiser will be applied to Phase 2 of our Disaster Relief Support Initiative in Puerto Rico.
Here is a little more information on what your generous donations have helped to support.
Here is a brief look into what we have accomplished so far thanks to the contributions of our supporters.
- Replaced/repaired roofs for 2 families, in Aguada and San Sebastian.
- Repaired and replaced the Agrabond cover for the high tunnel at Finca Mi Casa in Camuy.
- Distributed thousands of packets of non-GMO and organic seeds to farmers, schools, community gardens, home growers and organizations promoting and teaching agroecology and sustainable gardening methods.
- Distributed relief supplies including medicines, herbal remedies, solar lights, tools, water filters, organic teas and other requested items.
- Began documenting the work being done by grassroots, on-the-ground organizations, like Tainasoy Apiario, Casa Pueblo, Plenitud PR, Chakra Verde, and PR Resiliency Fund/Departamento de la Comida.
- Pledged support for two projects on the Tainasoy Apiario farm, a goat cage and a butterfly house which will be designed as part of the first Earthship project built in Puerto Rico. These projects will also serve as a basis for educational programs about sustainable living and ecology.
In addition, through our combined efforts with the Juntos Together Disaster Relief Coalition in Central NJ, led by José Montes, Director of the Puerto Rican Action Board, we have facilitated an additional $10,000+ in funds as grants to the following organizations and projects:
- Plenitud PR (Las Marías): Repair of greenhouse/high tunnel, tents
- Casa Pueblo (Adjuntas): First full solar home conversion in their #50conSol renewable energy initiative
- PR Resilience Fund: 2 rainwater collection systems for sustainable farmers
Check out more from our journeys, projects and partners on these resources:
- Raíces Digital Archive:
- Blog article updates on our Sustainable Disaster Relief Initiative for Puerto Rico
Thank you for every bit of help you have given, from your donations to sharing, to your words of encouragement, every bit helps. Remember, we are continuing to raise funds for this initiative, and all contributions made past the initial goal of $10,000 on this page will be applied to Phase 2 of this project, in which we will be collaborating directly with the Taina Mia Relief Corporation started by Tainasoy Apiario founders Noemi and Carlos Chaparro to support their mission and sustainable relief projects, as well as launching our Land Preservation Fund for PR. We will keep you updated on the progress of these two components of Phase 2 of our PR Disaster Relief Support.
*If you would like to make a recurring donation, or you do not already have a Paypal account to process your donation through this form, please make your contribution directly on our Network for Good or Paypal donation pages, designate your donation to “PR Relief Fund” and we will manually add the amount you donate to our goal.